Friday, August 13, 2010

Asa.

asa
Picture taken November 2007

My sweet Acey-Pie is sick. Very sick. I am so afraid that he won't be with us much longer. I noticed about a week or so ago that he'd lost weight, but at that point he was still playing and eating and acting normal. I thought maybe ... maybe, it was because we'd switched him to the high protein diet in June and then the more activity he's been getting playing with Maisie. I hoped it was that, but I thought deep down that it might be something else.

I checked him compulsively for yellow skin... as when we had to put Molly to sleep back in 2007, she had a liver disease and lost weight, stopped acting like herself, and then turned yellow.

I was petrified that Asa would be going down the same path. But, like I said, he was doing ok. Still ripping around the house with Maisie, still begging for food, and yowling for no particular reason at all hours of the night.

Tuckered out
Asa after we gave him a mohawk ;) 2005

Then on Monday or Tuesday of this week I noticed that he all of a sudden wasn't playing. Wasn't asking for food... and I am telling you, my heart felt like it fell out of my chest when I checked him over and found that he was tinged yellow. Aaron disagreed with me, and didn't see it, but I could tell. I took him to the vet and sure enough, they agreed with me that he was yellow. He'd also lost 1/3 of his body weight... he had been about 12.5lbs and was almost 9lbs exactly. They took blood and urine and we discussed possibilites... I wasn't exactly encouraged, but I wasn't totally depressed yet. I was pulling for an infection or something treatable.

When we got the blood results back the next day, the results were less than I'd hoped for. The vet theorized that it was a progressive liver disease, and that even if we did more tests (which I really couldn't afford, we were about 300 bucks in already with the treatments she recommended) that they probably wouldn't treat it much differently. She gave us IV fluids to give him every couple of days, pills to force down his throat once a day, antibiotic liquid for every 12 hours (on the off chance that it is an infection) and prescription cat food.

He seemed better this morning, but tonight has been hiding away from everyone. It breaks my heart. He will be 9 years old on September 7th... I adopted him on November 3rd, 2001.... the day of my Grandma's birthday the year she passed away. He's always been a funny little guy... but a lovey through and through.

P1020606
He has spent the night hiding under a table in the corner of the living room. :(

I had a momentary breakdown at work after I got off the phone with the vet, and then came home and laid on the floor next to him and cried some more. It feels kind of foolish to carry on like this, but it is really breaking my heart. What are the odds that both Asa and Molly would get some kind of freak liver problem?

At this point, I'm trying to be optimistic, but realistic. And the reality is, I just don't know if he'll be with us much longer.

P1020611
You can see his yellow skin in his ears here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment