Good Riddance '09
Here is my version of the New year's quiz that Sundry did. Last year's entry is hither.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? I hosted some sleepovers at my house with the parentals, I went camping with my boys, I got the boys to actually ENJOY playing in a pool. Became an Auntie to a NIECE! Baked bread successfully from scratch. Moved the boys both to big boy beds. We attempted to sell our condo (never done that before!) and failed, but will try again sometime soon.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year's were: I would like to yell at my kids less, lose weight, get healthy, and fit into my old pants. Excuse me while I stifle a sob... I did not keep any of those damn resolutions. I think this year I will post my resolutions on the fridge, on the bathroom mirror, and anywhere else I can figure out where to put them so I don't forget them. My resolutions are as follows:
*LOSE WEIGHT. (for serious. This shizz has gotten completely out of hand.)
*Run a 5k. Participate in at least 3 5Ks, but run an entire one once.
*Become a gentler parent... less yelling, more leading by example.
*No more wasting time on the computer before 7pm on weeknights.
*Hit the books and get Nolan ready for Kindergarten.
*Give up sweets. (oy.)
*Work out 6 days a week.
*Pay down our debts in a BIG way.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes! My sissy had a baby girl, a long awaited, much wished for baby girl to complete our brood of boys. One of my best friends also had a baby this summer, and it was a much wished for baby boy. It was a good year.
4. Did anyone close to you die? My dear friend Sandra passed away after 9 long months of fighting for her life. We weren't the kind of friends who spoke every day or every week. But we kept in touch, made attempts at getting together, and when we did get together it was as if no time had gone by at all. She was the first friend I've ever had who passed away, and it has rocked me to my core. I think about her every single day, and play the song that was played at her funeral just about every single day. My heart broke a little bit when she died, and to be honest, I'm still kind of waiting for her to call me up and tell me what a pussy I am for not wanting to go watch a scary movie with her and Toni.
I also had an uncle die right around the same time, and that was unexpected and very sad as well.
5. What countries did you visit? The good ol' U.S. of A.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? a yard, more square footage... a waistline. (whaddya know, same answer as last year!) and also, I would like a little more leeway when it comes to finances.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? November 2nd. The day that Sandra passed away. June 1, the day that I finished my in training plan at work and became a full fledged permanent state employee. November 6, the day that Aaron and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Decluttering and getting rid of all kinds of stuff after we took the house off the market. It felt great to have less 'stuff'. Oooh, and I was one of a team of 8 or 9 I think to win an award for being a team at work. It was pretty awesome.
9. What was your biggest failure? The inability to stop shoving anything and everything down my pie hole, and thus, gaining a ridonkulous amount of weight this year. Ugh.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? The worst thing I had this year was a 'mono like virus' back in July. That was absolutely hideous.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My iphone. I love that thing more than I thought I ever would. I also would have to say the Sookie Stackhouse novels, as those brought many many hours of entertainment.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Hmm... not sure. Maybe President Obama... for showing the world that Americans can and do posess grace and dignity. We are not all just idiot rednecks with a strange agenda.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The few hideous excuses for human beings who have managed to kill 6 law enforcement officers in our area in just the past 3 months. So very sad.
14. Where did most of your money go? daycare. mortgage. the usual.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The Sookie Stackhouse books, Obama's inauguration, the birth of my niece!
16. What song will always remind you of 2009? Forever by Chris Brown, Anything by Lady Gaga.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? I would say it's a draw, but I am much more optimistic.
b) thinner or fatter? sadly, fatter.
c) richer or poorer? poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? More outside time with the boys in the summer. More outings and I wish we'd actually gone biking. (EXACT SAME ANSWER AS LAST YEAR)... oh and I wish I'd exercised more, and also exercised more self control when it came to eating shit food.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? yelling and eating.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas eve was spent at home with Nolan who was running a 103.6 temp... Aaron and Seth went to Aaron's mom's. Christmas morning was spent at home, and then the rest of the day was spent at my sister's with my family and my aunt and cousin. The day after Christmas was spent at my Aunt's house.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008? My answer last year was: Yes. With Edward. ... This year I'd have to say it was with Jacob (as I reread the books AGAIN and man alive, I was rooting for Jacob even though I knew the outcome.)... oh and with Eric Northman and Vampire Bill as well.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Probably Sixteen and Pregnant, Teen Mom and Say Yes to the Dress.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No... I can honestly say I dont' hate anyone.
24. What was the best book you read? The Sookie Stackhouse Series.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Lady Gaga. I love her music.
26. What did you want and get? A niece!!!! A better movie for New Moon than what we got for Twilight.
27. What did you want and not get? to my goal weight.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? The Hangover. For serious. If you haven't seen it, see it. It was HILARIOUS. Also loved the Proposal.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 32, and we went to the Mandarin for some good old fashioned drunk Karaoke. It was awesome.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? To have lost the weight. blah blah blah.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Dark solid covers, layers and stretchy pants.
32. What kept you sane? coffee. and facebook.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and for some reason, Hugh Grant. Hugh is a recent development.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Probably health care reform... and the push for people to immunize EVERYONE for H1N1... gah.
35. Who did you miss? my grandma. my grandpa. my other grandma. Sandra.
36. Who was the best new person you met? well, I met them in 2007 when I began working at the AG's... but Lauretta, Liz and Victoria have all become good friends this year. I love them!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. That good things do happen to good people, that the truth will set you free, and/or get you your job back, that life is so incredibly fragile and that with family you can weather anything.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
didn't i know it
didn't i call her name
tiger lily girl
standin' cross-eyed in the corner
tiger lily girl
standin toungue tied in the corner
somethin' in her eye
tells that i should try
somethin' she might say
tells right away
somethin' in her eye
didn't i know it
didn't i call her name
tiger lily girl...
-Tiger Lily by Luna (Song they played at Sandra's Funeral)