Friday, January 02, 2009

Mother Effing Tired.

So last night was night one of no binky for Nolan. He survived naptime yesterday (with a lot of melodramatic sobbing)and then proceeded to sob for an hour or so after nap. He had no interest in opening some of his Christmas presents (they were opened, but not out of the box yet)... that I had set aside for moments of boredom. I finally got him interested in an episode of the Backyardigans and then he was all about playing with the new stuff.

We put them to bed at 8:30, and he cried for over two hours. Much of it whining and tired crying... not the same sort of spirited protest he'd displayed during naptime. No, he was too tired for that. He finally fell asleep around 10:45. Fast forward to 2am when I was awoken by a hysterical child who was beyond pissed. And he had to pee, but didn't want to. Cue the monstrous fit in the bathroom which led me to say "either you go pee right now or you get a spanken." He uses peeing as a control mechanism sometimes, and he was pissed and trying to get back at me... in retrospect I probably shouldn't have threatened a spanken, but it worked. So whatever.

I finally got him back in bed and he proceeded to cry and yell and then whine until shortly before 4am. I had made a few repeat trips to his room to remind him that it was night-night time and he needed to be quiet because Seth was sleeping. Miraculously, Seth had awoken, but was so groggy and tired he didn't make any noise, and therefore didn't make the meltdown even worse.

Around 6 I noticed that Nolan was coughing pretty bad. He'd been coughing for quite a while (it started last night) and was obviously worse when he was crying, but he'd been quiet for some time, and the cough was bad. I was afraid to go and give him medicine, because I didn't want to trigger any more crying... I didn't think my nerves could take it. Finally I bit the bullet and went in. I gave him the medicine and he said "we give the binkies to the babies?" and I said "yes we did. they are all gone." and he nodded and said "yeah." and that was that. Phew.

They slept in until almost 9 this morning. I am not exactly looking forward to naptime today or bedtime today, but I think I laid a pretty good foundation last night in that we didn't give in, we didn't go in and console constantly (barely at all)... he's got to learn to fall asleep without it. I think we are on a good path. We'll see.

Anyhoo, today is the last day of our vacations... I am going to meet up with some of my girl kin for lunch today at the Olive Garden, and then this afternoon we'll stop by my cousin's house to pick up Aaron's pay check (he works with her husband). Tommorrow will be grocery shopping and getting ready for the coming week, and Sunday I think we'll try to see a movie while the boys are at Nana and Papa's.

I am kind of looking forward to getting back to work too.

IMG_7870
Gazing at the snow while playing cars

IMG_7874
woohoo, getting ready to go outside!

IMG_7877

IMG_7878

IMG_7879

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment