Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Food Intolerance

So, I haven't talked about it much here, but we are experimenting with Nolan's diet to see if we can help modify some of his less than appealing behaviors. Specifically the defiance/tantrums/out of control moments... also his aggressiveness. I am not expecting a total turn around, but I am hoping that we can help him deal with life a little better, both for us and for him. I have been reading a lot about sensitivities to food colorings and preservatives... and decided, what the hell. It's worth a shot.

Because I have never had an issue with allergies or intolerances, I have never put much thought or stock into the whole idea of elimination diets. To be completely honest, there was a time when I might've rolled my eyes at such a thing. Oh what a funny funny God we have. So many things I have said and thought have come back to bite me in the ass since I've had children.

Anyhoo, for now we are eliminating food with food colorings ... at home. I am not too particularly worried about what he eats at school for the moment, but we'll see how it goes, I may have to start packing his snacks and lunches to keep him clear.

He had a great day today... mellow, agreeable, happy... and then he accidentally got some hawaiian punch (as both me and nana forgot about the plan) and wow... what a difference. He was bouncing off the walls, aggressive, and unable to sit still or control himself. Not sure at this point if it was just the sugar, or if it was the dye, or a combination of the two. When the boys are home for a week at the end of December with me, we'll get a better idea I'm sure of how he is completely off the offending foods.

If you have any thoughts, resources, or experiences, I would love to hear about them!

IMG_7054
No mama. I do it seff.

IMG_7060
Determination

IMG_7063
But I don't yike bedtime.

IMG_7065
thewiouthly guyth

IMG_7069
The blasted binky. Live it up buddy... its days are NUMBERED.

IMG_7082
Notice the lovely bruise on his forehead. His big brother pushed him off the reading loft at daycare.

IMG_7089

IMG_7094

IMG_7097

IMG_7106

IMG_7108

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment