Monday, August 11, 2008

Breaking Down Breaking Dawn...

If you don't want to read spoilers or anything about the fourth installment of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Books, you should probably click out now :)

Ok, So I started the book on 8/1 and finished it on 8/7. Believe it or not I actually took a little bit of time with it. I read the others in the space of a few days rather than a week. I think it's for two reasons. 1. I know this is supposed to be the last book, so I wanted to take my time and savor it. 2. The many many MANY MANY MANY pages written from Jacob's point of view were at times excruciating to get through.

I don't care about his perspective. I get why she did it, but uh... she could've cut that part down about 100 pages and spent some time examining life in the happily ever after.

Don't get me wrong, I love how she ended the book... I love me a happy ending. I don't so much love however, a happy ending that seems like it was written in a hurry. Also, all of the descriptions of stuff leading up to the fights that never happen... kind of anticlimactic and unnecessary.

Rather than go on willy nilly in all directions I'll describe it like this...

Stuff I loved:

1. The bliss at the wedding. How Bella was a cooperative bride and didn't complain and bitch through the whole thing.
2. How happy she was becoming a vampire, and how gracious she was when she saw the cottage. Instead of acting like a jerk, she was actually happy. That was a nice change.
3. Her power, and that she learned to let Edward in.
4. That she was able to have a child.
5. That she was able to resolve things with Jacob.


Stuff I didn't love:

1. The entire section devoted to Jacob's point of view. It was tiring, boring, redundant with the insults and bad attitude and... well in case I haven't made myself clear enough, I hated it.

2. The delivery of the baby. A little graphic and such... which I wouldn't mind, but when everything else is portrayed so clean... well, it didn't sit well with me.

3. The lack of time devoted to Bella and Edward being happy.
4. 'Renesmee'... seriously.
5. and even worse: 'Nessie'.
6. and I thought the way they looped Charlie in seemed hokey.
7. The way the whole book seemed as though it was being told in a hurried fashion, and almost as though it was a recollection... not current.

There you have it. Good book... NOT as good as Eclipse, and definitely too much potential to have one more to be the final book. But good nonetheless.









nerding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment